Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Open Office: Sweet Productivity Suite...For Free

Gimme Great Freeware
Since I'm not into spending money indiscriminately, especially these days, I like to keep my head up for bargains where they are available. And, yeah, I'm the first one to admit that sometimes you do have to spend a little cash to get quality...but when it's possible to get something great for free, I'm there.
That's Open Office. I found out about it when I got tired of the Microsoft Works that is (and has been for several years) preloaded on Microsoft's Operating systems. For basic word processing, Works is okay, but nowadays, even basic users want a little bit more...to say nothing of users like me who need more (on a shoestring budget). No, it's not jus
t for Windows...read on.

Here's The Deal
Open Office is an open-source (free) productivity suite with all the major applications needed for, well, being productive. There's Writer; for word processing/desktop publishing, Calc; for spreadsheets, Impress; for multimedia presentations (think PowerPoint), Draw; for both simple and complex sketches and designs, Math; for both simple aritmetic and complex calculations, and Base; a nifty database application.
Because it is open source, not only is it a free license, but it comes with loads of support. An entire community of developers and other users (which you can certainly participate in, if you want) is always there for you. You want tutorials? Covered. Tips & tricks, troubleshooting, any questions that begin, "How do I..." or "Why can't I...." will be answered. And don't let me forget about updates; the available updates are frequent enough to keep you up to speed, but not often enough to make you groan, "But I just updated the darn thing YESTERDAY!"
While Open Office is a suite, you do have the option of "customizing" the download to include only the applications you want. My advice is this: Unless you have to count megabytes on your hard drive like a miser (which is a good indication that you need more space anyway), just download the whole suite. It's easier, and you just never know when you might miss one of the applications you excluded during the download configuration.
Let's talk about extensions. There are tons of useful extensions (advanced add-ons) for the different applications in the Open Office suite. I had myself a look-see through a small portion of what's available at the Open Office Extension site, and it's impressive. For example, I found one called "Writer's Tools," which has a few advanced features that make my current projects a bit easier.
Open Office will run on all the major Operating System Platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Sun Solaris) so there's no need to be left out. As of this post, the current version is 2.4.1, though version 3.0 is available in Beta.

Tell Me More, Tell Me More

Okay, so here's the "Don't just take my word for it" review plug. Here are a couple of comprehensive reviews for Open Office (current version 2.4.1) from CNET's Download.com sites...a Review of Open Office for Windows, and a Review of Open Office for Mac. You can download Open Office at those sites, or to learn even more about it, visit the Open Office main site.

Coming Soon: Thinkin' about video freeware, Objective view of Mac from a PC guy, My Windows IE is feeling neglected.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but excessive haters will be exterminated...Consider yourself informed.

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP