Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Google Chrome 3: New and Improved (Really)


Google's Chrome web Browser has now been available for just over a year, and people all over have been discovering its power and simplicity. If you've been waiting for it to mature a bit, or if you haven't given it any thought...now is the time to act.
Today Google has made Chrome version 3 available to the masses. This, of course, doesn't count the Chrome 3 betas that have already been available to software/internet geeks.
Since the update was waiting for me when I opened Chrome this morning, I gave it a spin to test out the new features they've added. I'm very pleased with the speed of navigation and page rendering/loading. Please keep in mind that I'm not a top-notch geek, so the following is by no means a comprehensive list of the new feature set.

Improved Performance
One of the things that most impresses me is that Chrome 3 uses HTML 5 as a standard. To me and the rest of you average end users out there, this means you're going to see all that embedded media without plugins like a Flash player, because the HTML 5 protocol automagically takes care of rendering dynamic content.

The Look
Many of us love shiny, pretty things. Chrome 3 has finally given us some of that visual swag. The default theme itself is wearing a new slick gradient skin and the navigation icons seem to pop a bit more. Now, however, you're not going to be "stuck" with the default theme if it starts to bore you. They've given us some very cool and colorful themes to tart up the browser a bit.

Fastest Yet
I definitely see an increase in speed, and so will you. Not just in navigation time, but in page-load terms as well. Even if you have multiple tabs open...doesn't matter. Chrome 3 is beating the pants off my Firefox right now.

As I said above, there are more improvements in Google Chrome version 3 than what I've mentioned. If you want to see the full story, head over to the Official Google Blog.

3 comments:

Frank Angelone 9/16/09, 10:05 PM  

I have tried Chrome in the past and even though I really am a huge supporter of Google, their web browser never impressed me for some reason. There's no doubt that it is fast. However, when using a Windows operating system, I prefer to use Firefox which I think is faster. Chrome's interface is not to my liking...which has me questioning their motives as to a Chrome operating system.

Tech Johnson 9/16/09, 10:45 PM  

I've tried the browser once and it didn't seem to work well on my PC. Now knowing that there is a new update for it, I will download it again and see how it works!

Jon Sheline 9/17/09, 8:33 AM  

Frank: Thanks. I still use Firefox as my main, but I do like the improvements in performance of Chrome 3.
Tech Johnson: Yep...Give it a shot!

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but excessive haters will be exterminated...Consider yourself informed.

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP