Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Windows 7 Is Coming...And It's What Vista Shoulda/Coulda/Woulda Been

Okay...You've been using Windows Vista for a while (I'm a year and a half into it), and it's been okay, right? Some have complained about Vista's system-hogging, that it's slow in the startup, or that there were too many changes from Windows XP. If you've been using it for a while, you've either gotten used to it or you've third-party software to tweak performance more to your liking.
But wait! What's that on the horizon? Could it be? YES! It's a new Operating System from Microsoft Windows, and it's called (at least for now) Windows 7.
I've been watching this for a few months now, which is more than most novice tech geeks can say. I've seen it released for "public beta testing" over the last month (purportedly the largest OS public beta test EVER), and the consensus is rolling in from all over the Tech Geek Universe that Windows 7 is everything (or almost everything) that Vista should have been. I actually thought about participating in the public beta test of Windows 7, going as far as to read a post on Gizmodo/Lifehacker about dual booting two Operating Systems. Alas, even though I understood the instructions, and realize that a dual boot does not run both at the same time, I'm not confident that 1 GB of RAM on my Laptop is enough of a cushion. So, I will wait patiently for the Final Release of this new OS.

What's so great about it? The folks at Microsoft have trimmed down the RAM usage for Windows 7, and they've also introduced a slew of new User Interface elements that are slick, more customizable, and actually useful. Oh, and news that will make many Vista users weep tears of joy: They've made User Account Control more friendly; allowing you to decide how attentive/intrusive it is...so you don't have to turn it off to keep it from popping up unnecessarily.

The latest news right now is the information that Microsoft has released regarding the versions that will be available. As soon as Techies began participating in the public beta test, and noticed that the beta was labeled "Windows 7 Ultimate," speculation ran wild that Windows was going to release too many different "flavors" of Windows 7 like they did with Vista (You know...Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Enterprise, Ultimate, and Super-Duper Deluxe With Whipped Cream And A Cherry On Top). All kidding aside, there will be several different versions, but Microsoft is doing better with which versions will even be available to which market. To cut to the chase, we average end users will only need to know about Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional; though anyone who wants Ultimate will be able to get it...it just won't be advertised in the mass market. The Enterprise version will be peddled to the Corporate world, and the Starter version (made almost exclusively for developing markets outside the U.S.) isn't of interest to the average consumer. I'll be keeping up with Windows 7 developments, because from what I've seen, this will be the one to get. I'll bet even those who've wisely clung to Windows XP will finally have a real reason to update.

Want to learn More? Hit Gizmodo's "Complete Windows 7 Coverage" Post.

Coming Soon: You don't have to be a geek to use system tweaks, Songbird vs. iTunes, Oh, how I love Digsby!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  2/6/09, 9:49 AM  

Like all XP-hanger-on-ers I've heard the complaints about Vista. While desperately needing a new pc due to my processor being out-moded, I'm one of those choosing to wait until Bill thinks of something better. A friend is being a guinea pig w/ 7 right now. He has an extra 'key' but I can't even take advantage of it since my 'box' just doesn't have H.P. to run it. I appreciate this type of assay of the proposed new OS & look forward more posts on the subject. Hopefully those persons on the Beta will publicly cough up the pros and cons of 7 as quickly as MS itself gets feedback so we can evaluate in real time along with them. Thx, Billy S.

Danny 2/7/09, 9:09 AM  

I found your blog from Lockergnome and enjoy it. I have added your blog to my blog list at http://controversyabounds.blogspot.com/ and would appreciate it if you could reciprocate. Sorry to hear you are out of work. I hope things are going better for you now. Thanks.

Post a Comment

I do not moderate comments, but excessive haters will be exterminated...Consider yourself informed.

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP